Category Archives: Automobile photos with children
Here is a Browniekar built in Newark, New York from 1908-1911. It was a “juvenile car” marketed towards children (or their parents).
Tim Martin showed us the electric version of the Auto Red Bug yesterday, so we thought you would enjoy seeing the gasoline version today.
“The Auto Wheel” as it is first known was produced as the Wall Motor Wheel. A.O. Smith then bought the rights to manufacture them and sold them for both bicycles and a cycle car which they called the Smith Flyer. The flyer appears to have been the first small child’s car of this buck board type of construction. In 1920 Briggs and Stratton bought the patents and rights to both the Motor Wheel and the Flyer. They redesigned the motor wheel and added one more horsepower ending up with a grand total of two.
In 1924 production of the Flyer moved once more to the Automotive Electric Service Co. in N.J. who renamed it the Red Bug and brought out the electric version seen in the post on Our Gang. It is unclear if they continued on also installing the Briggs & Stratton Motor Wheels or if they strictly stayed with the electrics.
Our Gang poses with an Auto Red Bug electric roadster from the early 1920′s. The driver looks like she will have her work cut out for her given the distance to the pedals. Then she has her erstwhile mechanic whose has lost his focus, and her fuel guy is trying to pump water. Red Bugs were built in North Bergen, NJ. A 12v motor was geared to the rear axle, and the batteries were located aft of the seat.