Category Archives: Garages and Dealerships
There was a time before car lifts were invented when just about every garage that did service work and grease jobs had what was called a grease pit. Ferdinand Ellerman, seen here in a garage in the greater Los Angeles area during 1915, smiled for the camera while standing in one. With him is an assortment of lubrication equipment including a cast iron frying pan and spoon.
Grease pumps and guns can be seen below along with a page from the Automobile Trade Journal showing the high quality Lukenheimer grease cups that were offered in the same year as our featured photo. Can any of our readers positively identify the automobile with the distinctive platform rear spring? Well over one hundred and fifty photos of other garages and agencies can be seen here on The Old Motor.
Seen here is the crew from The Brake Shop, that was located at 511 State Street in Knoxville, Tennessee. Not much is known about the shop other than they sold and installed Johns Manville brake linings and serviced Lockheed four wheel hydraulic brakes, which were quite new at the time. The shop Model “T” Ford has the late style high radiator, which tells us it was built in 1924 or later. The photo was taken in 1926 and is courtesy of the Knox County Public Library.
The big neon rooftop sign left little doubt what brand of tires were sold at Cheeseman’s, located at 898 Seymour Street in Vancouver, B.C. It’s July 20, 1936, and the information provided with the image says that it was a brand new establishment at the time. This is one of two auto related businesses owned by a Cheeseman in Vancouver that we have come across, the other being an Auburn agency. We will post a picture of that one here in the near future.
Such a clean and brightly lit facility must have been a welcome sight for motorists seeking fuel, oil or repairs at a late hour. In fact, the apparent lack of exterior doors makes us wonder if this facility was open 24 hours a day as many were back then. You can find more Goodyear related posts on The Old Motor and lots of gas station pictures, too. Images by photographer Stuart Thomson, courtesy of the City of Vancouver.