Coal was a once a common source of heat for U.S. homes. We were still burning more than 50 million tons of it a year by 1950 although it’s use had peaked right before 1920. By the mid 1930’s, oil burners had become safer and more reliable and the convenience and comparative cleanliness of these more modern systems had great appeal to consumers. Our photo shows a 1927 or earlier Stewart truck, equipped with two-wheel brakes, heading out for a delivery of the product from Morrow’s Coal and Ice Company located at 1025 Main Street in Vancouver. The truck maker later installed Bendix four-wheel brakes on their 1928 models.
Stewart is another of those largely forgotten brands like Hug, Republic and Moreland, that were once part of the landscape in North America. The Buffalo, New York based builder was an outgrowth of the Lippard-Stewart Motor Car Company and produced a full range of trucks between 1912 and 1941, with sales peaking at 2,315 units in 1930. Of note on the three or four tonner seen above are the solid tires on the rear axle still being relied upon to handle heavier loads. You’ll find almost 100 pages of posts devoted to interesting commercial vehicles of all types on The Old Motor. Our photo by Stuart Thomson dating from 1931 is courtesy of the City of Vancouver.