Although it has been written about extensively this year, we couldn’t let 2013 end without posting something about the 60th anniversary of the Corvette. Today’s silent video chronicles the interesting details involved with the building of the first examples of the fiberglass-bodied car from start to finish. Only three hundred of the cars left the factory in Flint, Michigan that first year. All were white with a red interior and were equipped with a three carburetor 150 HP version of Chevrolet’s 235 CI six cylinder engine, mated to their two speed Powerglide automatic transmission.
Although production ramped up on a dedicated assembly line in St. Louis, Missouri in 1954, the car was nearly scrapped by GM after that due to lackluster sales. It was saved from oblivion due to the almost single-handed persistence of Zora-Arkus Duntov who convinced a reluctant upper management to offer their new 265 CI small block V-8 as an engine option the following year. There was no turning back after that. It remains an American icon that offers more bang for the buck than any other performance car in the world today. Video courtesy of King Rose Archives via YouTube.