The post war boom in new car production had a marked multiplier effect on the American economy. Once they were finished, cars had to be shipped to the dealers. Construction of specialized trailers built for that purpose provided employment opportunities in those factories, too. Drivers were also needed to move the rigs down the road. All this activity kept not just the metal moving but money, too. Our photos today show a number of different styles of these trailers from various manufacturers.
A Dodge COE and an MHS “Clipper” trailer with trademark portholes – 1950 Nashes behind a Reo, nicknamed “The Flying Cloud”
Whitehead & Kales, builder of the trailer in our first shot, was a large structural steel company that manufactured railway cars and new car haulers from the 1920s through the 1980s in Detroit and River Rouge, Michigan. During the early 1960s, they fabricated and erected steel for the new Chrysler Stamping Plant in what was then Sterling Township. Mechanical Handling Systems (MHS), another well-known trailer company, also built special oversized trailers to haul B24 wings and fuselages between various assembly plants during the Second World War.
Note that all the trailers in our photos are four car carriers. As diesel engine power increased and overall truck length laws were relaxed over the years, capacity increased to six or more cars per trailer and tandems became more common thus reducing per unit shipping costs significantly. You can find our earlier post about car haulers here, take a look at how cars once were shipped here and also see many more interesting trucks, buses and equipment. Photos courtesy of Dick Copello.
Pages of trucks, buses and equipment on The Old Motor. Today’s photos courtesy of Dick Copello. – See more at: http://theoldmotor.com/?p=110466#sthash.cJHvqfGM.dpuf