This Indian Sales agency in Washington, DC, was operated Herb Reiber who enjoyed a long career in the motorcycle business that began in the twenties, and continued on to the mid-sixties. He first worked for Harley-Davidson as: a service instructor, a rider on the factory hill climb team, and was part of Harley-Davidson’s racing department. He was also instrumental in the building of the 45 CI, V-twin, twin-cam, overhead-valve engine that was campaigned in 1928 on the hill climb circuit.
Later Reiber ran the Indian Motorcycle dealership pictured here, and also handled several other machines built by British makers, including the Vincent, A-J-S, and the Matchless. The photos are courtesy of Art Lumsden and he believes the top image was taken in 1953 and shows the new Indians used by the Park Police to lead the Eisenhower inauguration. The combination showroom and parts department in the late-forties can be seen below. You can visit with the Antique Motorcycle Club of America here. 100s more motorcycle photos can be found here on The Old Motor.