This photo appears to show opening day in 1939 at Earl M. Carr’s Pepper Gasoline station. It was located at North Broadway and Belt Line Avenue, Northeast of the center of Lexington, Kentucky. At the time, judging by the scene in the background, the gas station was located with the areas famous horse farms.
The gas station in itself is interesting in that the building is actually an old streetcar that was gutted, equipped with restrooms, an office and named Two Carrs. Pepper Gasoline was produced by the Ashland Oil and Refining Company that was founded in 1924 in Ashland, Kentucky. Ashland Inc. is in business to this day and produces Valvoline Motor Oil and other products. The Lafayette Studios photograph is courtesy of the University of Kentucky.