The Taylor Tire Company of Lexington, Kentucky opened this new facility, during the trying times at the beginning the Great Depression on November 15, 1930. The organization must have had some strong backing and good management to make it through the next half-a-dozen or more difficult years. The photo above dating from 1934 shows considerable activity at the service facility that was located at East Vine and Southeastern Avenue.
The changes that can be seen during the years by studying the photos show that the Company first was a dealer for B.F.Goodrich tires in 1930 at its opening. Later in 1934, Taylor was handling Seiberling tires and Pepper Gasolines. By 1937, the year the photo on the right above was taken, the brake-testing machine visible in the left image had been removed, the walls and floor were painted and a more modern lubrication system had been installed. The Photographer’s truck is on the lift in this image.
The photo below dated 1932 shows a weathered early Model A Ford, a popular work truck at the time, doing duty as a mobile tire service truck. Note the air tank mounted behind the cab with the remains of a Pepper Ethel decal on its end. The photos are courtesy of the University of Kentucky.