Last weekend the final two major Concours d’Elegance events of the year were held on the other side of the Atlantic: The 2014 Hampton Court Concours of Elegance and the well-received 2014 Chantilly L’Art & de L’Elegance. The Hampton Court Concours was held at a historic Royal Palace situated on the Thames River in London, England. The very first Chantilly Arts & Elegance Concours was held at the spectacular Domaine de Chantilly that is located between Calais and Paris, France.
The feature photo (above) shows the Chantilly Concours Best of Show award winning 1937 Delahaye 135 M Cabriolet with coachwork by Figoni et Falaschi. It is owned by Peter W. Mullin and is from his collection of cars on exhibit at the Mullin Automotive Museum located in Oxnard, California.
The photos in this post and further coverage next week of both events here on The Old Motor, was provided by Pavel Novitski of Novitsky Classics. Pavel had a very busy weekend, first covering the London event and then traveling to France to cover the second.
The 2014 Concours of Elegance at Hampton Court – Best of Show Award Winner
The elegant 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Touring Flying Star (below) won the Pullman Trophy for the Best of Show honors at the Hampton Court Concours of Elegance that was held on September 6, 2011. The celebration was held at the Hampton Court Palace in the Grand Fountain Gardens. It was one of sixty exceptional vehicles chosen by the Concours committee for the exhibit. This event was the organizations third, and it has been established as one of the top five events of its type in the world from the beginning.
The off-white Alfa Romeo is owned by the Keller Collection at the Pyramids, Petaluma, California, has a long history of winning top awards at Concours events around the world for more than 80 years. The stunning Roadster was constructed and finished specifically for the prestigious 1931 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este. At that event on the shores of Lake Como in Italy, the fine creation was accompanied by model Josette Pozzo, and together the pair took the coveted Coppa d’Oro di Villa d’Este trophy.
The Alfa Romeo returned to it’s winning ways by taking a class award at the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours, and on its return to Villa d’Este, seventy-six years later in 2007. It was one of only a small number of this model produced with coachwork by Touring of Milan, Italy, with this style of dramatic swooping bodywork, polished accent moldings and distinctive fender and running board treatment. In combination with the all white coachwork and wheels, nickel trim and the all-white interior, it has a unique a look all of its own.
The 2014 Chantilly L’Art & de L’Elegance – The Best of Show Award Winner
The Chantilly L’Art & de L’Elegance held on September 7, 2014, lived up to its promise after two years of careful preparation by the organizer Peter Auto. This first event celebrated the return to France of a world-class Concours d’Elegance that originated there in the late 17th century. The grand event was held in the gardens of the Le Notre Chateau de Chantilly, and all of the reports that we have received of this event describe it as being exceptional and establishing a new standard.
The Concours gathered approximately one-hundred extraordinary cars from collections around the world to a phenomenal setting, with the entries divided into ten classes. Nearly ten thousand people attended the first edition. You can learn more about the Chantilly Art & Elegance here.
The Best of Show Award winning 1937 Delahaye 135 M Cabriolet, with coachwork by Figoni & Falaschi is owned by Peter W. Mullin. The car is a variation of the famous Figoni-designed 1936 Paris Auto Salon model. The two-tone blue 135 M was commissioned by Casimir Jourde, a friend of Figoni and delivered to him in 1938.
Jourde had the car shipped to India in 1939 where he had business interests and soon sold it to Prince de Mukarran Jah. The car remained there until the mid nineteen-eighties when it was discovered in a garden shed and then was shipped to England. A restoration followed, and it was then shown at the 1992 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, after which it became a part of Peter Mullin’s collection.