In looking through our archives at some of our unidentified images recently, we came across this street scene photograph that appeared to have been taken in a fairly good-sized city during the late 1950s. The newest vehicles seen in the photo appear to be a Cadillac and a Ford, both of which are 1957 models. After investigating the names on the signs that are visible it appears that this was taken on South Cottage Grove Avenue in Chicago.
The Tivoli Theatre, which first opened in 1921, was located at 6328 South Cottage Grove Avenue, until it was torn down in the summer of 1963. On the other side of the street can be seen Stotland’s Furniture and appliances; at Forgotten Chicago that building is listed as having been designed by architect B. Leo Steif for Spiegel Furniture and it was located at 6344 South Cottage Grove. If any of our readers can tell us more about this location or about any notable vehicles on the street, please send us a comment. More details can be seen in the two photos below if you enlarge them.