* Updated * Thanks to reader Robbie Marenzi for identifying the makers of some of the unknown cars and the coachbuilders. The Concours d’Elegance originated in France and dates back to the 17th century. This is the third in a series of posts featuring period photographs of early French Concours. The gathering shown here was the 1929 Parc des Princes Concours d’Elegance held in Paris, France. In 1897 the Parc des Princes was developed into a stadium complex complete with a bicycle racing track (velodrome).
At this 1929 event, a wide variety of custom coachwork on chassis’ by many different makers can be seen on the field with the majority of them being closed cars. In the fashion of the time many were outfitted with sun visors, ornate mascots, dual bar or tubular bumpers, spun aluminum wheel discs, running board boxes and add-on trunks.
Many of the open cars were fitted with cycle fenders, louvered side covers for the frame and running gear and step plates. The exquisite dual cowl phaeton by Ballot with coachwork by Lavocat & Marsaud in the lead photo is a perfect example of this style, and is wearing dual windshields with wind wings, wheel discs and Marchal headlamps.
We have identified some of the automobiles, but if you know the makers of any of the others or who built the coachwork, please send us a comment. You can take a look back at our earlier French Concours d’Elegance photos and see the changes in design that occurred in the early thirties. The French National Library (BnF) photographs are press photos from l’Agence Meurisse (Paris).
- Saoutchik-bodied Mercedes – Bugatti Type 43 – Ballot with coachwork by Lavocat & Marsaud.
- 1928 Packard Standard Eight with coachwork by Gallé.
- Car with sun roof probably a Voisin, followed by a Delage, then a Panhard et Levassor and a Renault.
- Hispano-Suzia H6B with coachwork by by Maurice Proux.
- Hispano-Suzia H6B.
- Bugatti Type 44.
- Farman with coachwork by Kellner.
- Renault Reinastella.
- Panhard et Levassor with coachwork by by Maurice Proux.