Packard of New Orleans was located on Saint Charles Avenue at Saint Mary Street in the historic Louisiana City. The “Uptown” section of the Avenue is lined with old money mansions, and one of the City streetcar lines established in 1835 continues to travel on its grass-lined median. Not much is known about this dealership at this point or when it first went into operation or closed, although this set of images appears to have been taken between 1951 to ’53. Some later time when Packards were no longer sold at the facility, it housed Mel Parnell Plymouth. The last photo (below) dated May 9, 1957, by the source, contains Parnell’s dealership.
The building has survived and is now divided into a number of retail shops. The used car lot shown in the lead photo was located on the other side of Saint Mary St, which now contains an AT&T store. This facility may have been a Packard dealership for some time, and it would be interesting to know if any of our readers can turn up more information about it. The photos are courtesy of the Louisiana State Library.