Several weeks ago a change was made that is necessary here that deals with the comment box and links to other sites not being allowed to be posted anymore. The Old Motor is now four and a half years old and because of the high volume of traffic on the site that is growing daily the changes became necessary.
We thank all of our faithful readers that have taken the time to add information in the form of links, but unfortunately a number of them do not work even before they are posted and many more turn into bad links with the passage of time. The following will show you why this change needs to be done:
1. When a website has links that do not work, Google will down rate that site’s search rating because it is afraid that anyone it sends there might have a bad experience because of a broken link. This directly affects a website’s vitality because it cannot be found easily by people looking for the type of information that it contains.
2. An email addresses included in a comment can cause the same problem. Commenters also try to post a comment about a similar item or vehicle that they have for sale and leave an email address. The comment section is not the place to try to post an advertisement or email address and both will be deleted.
3. At this time, the bad links are being found one-by-one by an outside vendor and eliminated. The site now has over 3200 posts that contain 12,500 images and the cost to deal with this issue is enormous.
4. The Old Motor is a one man band and there are not enough hours in the day to deal with checking every new link in a comment before it is posted and to try find those that have gone bad with time. The decision has been made that my time is better spent adding new and interesting content than spending it policing links. In addition to the new comments that are posted by readers daily, over 300 new comments are added daily by spammers that have to be dealt with.
5. You can still post a link in this way – “www dot bprlicenseplates dot com” or tell others to search under “bprlicenseplates”.
One other change that is also being made is because of a problem that is common when anyone is allowed to leave comments on the internet. Ninety-five percent of our readers are pleasant, willing to help, are APPRECIATED and leave comments that benefit everyone.
Unfortunately the other five percent do not have any common courtesy and feel that they can leave negative and at times unbelievably rude comments about anything they feel like. Starting today, the following types of comments are all going be deleted.
6. At times, we post photos showing an owners vehicle, or a facility, museum or images by one of the many photographers we are fortunate to work with. The rule of thumb here is do not say anything that you would not say about the vehicle, facility or photograph in person with the owner or whoever created it. Just because you don’t like a vehicle, or its color, tires or top is not a reason to leave a negative comment. Be polite because negative and nasty comments are a waste of your time, and will be deleted.
7. We go out of our way to find videos that are interesting, entertaining and informative. Music is a part of most of them today and it is unavoidable. If you find the music is not to your liking or it is to loud for your ears (most videos will play at the same volume that you used the last time), it is very easy matter to turn it down or off or just not watch it instead of complaining about it.
8. All of these problems are not suffered just by The Old Motor, as many other old car websites and forums have made similar announcements, and the problem is rampant on Facebook. Learn more about this problem of dealing with what are termed “Internet Cowboys here”.
9. If you do spot a typo or a mistake in the text that was missed (I’m and expert at missing things and making mistakes) please feel free to point it out. If you know more about any subject and you feel that what is posted is incorrect, please join in but don’t just comment “it’s a 1924 wombat” or “you are wrong it’s a …..”. Chances are you are right but if you can, please help to try point us to where the information can be found pertaining to the topic so it can verified and corrected, or contact The Old Motor here.
10. WE WELCOME all constructive comments anytime and ask you to comment now about the decision that has been made to deal with these issues.