The 1935 “Evans’ Auto-Railer” was designed by the Evans Products Company of Plymouth, Michigan. The Company was headed by Edward S. Evans, who was a contemporary of William B. Stout. Evans’ manufactured parts and equipment for: the automotive, railway, freight, and aircraft industries. The company designed, patented and produced a number of products used for shipping new cars by rail, and according to Stout, built the first retractable landing gear used on an airplane.
- Advertisement from an August 1936 issue of “Life Magazine”
The “Auto-Railer” was designed for commuters to take advantage of both the use of roads and the rail. Shorpy, the source of the lead photo found an article in a Washington D.C. area newspaper dated June 26, 1935, that tells of the Evans Products Company negotiating to buy the Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Railway. Evans’ was planning “To operate 100 passenger and freight units between Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis.”
The video is a part of the Chevrolet Leader News (Vol. 1, No. 2) from the Prelinger Archives. It demonstrates the “Auto-Railer” in use on the road and rail. The photo is from the Harris & Ewing Collection.