Hollywood’s roots go all the way back to about 1850, and by the 1870s the settlement had become a working agricultural center. In 1903 it officially became a town and later in 1910 a part of the City of Los Angeles.
Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street became well-known in the twenties due to a large number of silent film related businesses that had settled in the neighborhood. Its claim to fame for the future arrived in the fifties when over fifteen-hundred charcoal and pink colored terrazzo and brass Hollywood Walk of Fame Stars honoring noted actors, musicians, and others involved in the film industry were installed in the sidewalks of the area.
Today’s feature photo is a circa 1947 postcard image of the intersection courtesy of contributor Benjamin Ames with a variety of pre and postwar vehicles in the view. Because of the angle and distortion of the camera lens, the 1946-’47 Cadillac coupe on the far-left in the enlargeable image below appears to be even lower and longer than in reality. Tell us all about the Chrysler Products convertible in the center of the photograph and and the Cadillac.