Racing driver Billy Arnold and his riding mechanic Spider Matlock dominated and won the 1930 Indianapolis 500 race in a front-wheel drive 1927 Miller racing car converted into a two-man racer by car owner Harry Hartz, a retired racing driver, who was an expert mechanic. Arnold resided in Chicago and apparently drove this 1930 L29 Cord convertible coupe from Illinois to Los Angeles, California where these Richfield Oil Co. publicity photos were taken.
The L29 Cord, first introduced in 1929 used a similar front-wheel drive system with inboard brakes which was designed by Cornelius Van Ranst, an engineer, who earlier worked with Harry Miller the designer and builder of the Miller Racing cars in Los Angeles.
View more photos and learn all about the L29 Cord in earlier coverage here on The Old Motor. The Cord photos are courtesy of the USC Libraries and the winning Miller racing car image courtesy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.