Pennzoil, first founded in 1915 in California, appears to have been at the forefront of the oil change and chassis lubrication business in the 1930s. The oil company designed and had attractive art deco neon-lit deluxe lubrication systems manufactured in the thirties that could easily be installed in service and parking garages. Other than the Standard Oil Company, which also sold motor oil dispensers to its dealers, at this time we are unaware of any other oil companies that went to this far to keep is name in front of possible customers.
This installation system is conveniently set up with a hydraulic lift that made for fast and profitable oil and lube jobs for its dealers with the volume to keep it busy. This parking garage in Utah also sold “Aviation Ethyl” and standard grade Flying A gasoline to its customers.
This press photo taken in the evening used a Supercharged 812 Cord Sportsman and a Cadillac convertible in light colors to set off this Pennzoil lube center is courtesy of the USC Libraries. View earlier Pennzoil Motor Oil promotional images on The Old Motor.