The photo above shows the 50 hp Matheson as it appeared in this 1908 photo. At around the same time, the new Silent Six model seen below, was being developed, which was a change in direction for the company. They were moving away from the big double-chain driven four, to a more refined six cylinder, along with the other companies who were going in the same direction. The big four was continued all the way thru 1911 and only the six was made in the last year of operation, 1912.
In this photos we can see one of the factory buildings in the background. This was in their final location, Forty Fort, PA, just north and across the river from Wilkes-Barre PA. The company was lured to move there from Holyoke MA, by the Board of Trade. This kept them fairly close by to their main market for expensive high-end cars, New York City and Philadelphia. To read more about this fine company, follow this link and scroll down to a series of earlier posts. Photos from the Robert C. Laurens collection courtesy of Alan Ballard.