Today’s feature takes us to a Sinclair service station located in Austin, Texas photographed on opening day in 1955. A female model and one of the attendants are posing with a 1955 Dodge Coronet; behind them is a 1949 to ’51 Ford station wagon and another gas pump jockey who is wearing an odd helmet-like hat.
The “Rocket Power” banners displayed in the office windows refer to Sinclair’s high test gasoline. A series of Goodyear tire banners in one of the corner windows promote the Company’s new tubeless tires. B.F. Goodrich was the first to announce the development of the new type of tire without a tube in 1947, that later in 1955 were introduced on many of the US automakers new models.
A Dodge promotional film shot in 1955 of the assembly line and the new 1956 Coronet models can be viewed at the end of today’s post. Tell us what you find of interest in this photograph by Douglass Neal, courtesy of the Austin Texas Public Library via The Portal to Texas History.