Today, owners of new cars need not be concerned about much in the way of lubrication services for their vehicles other than an extended oil change that can reach as long as fifteen-thousand miles with some synthetic oils; that and occasional transmission, driveline, and rear axle lube checks. In the mid-1930s, the mileage recommended between oil changes for many new cars was around one-thousand miles, in addition the chassis also needed a “grease job” at the same time.
In 1936 the Joseph R. Dick Chevrolet dealership in Pomona, California, installed this up-to-date deluxe Alemite lubritorium system which was complete with a pullout chrome plated oil drain funnel and piping. While the engine oil was draining, seven of the various types of heavy oils and greases needed for a through and correctly done chassis lubrication were readily available to the operator by using all eight of the air-powered and manually operated grease and oil guns supplied with the system.
To provide the volume of vehicles necessary to keep this equipment and the operator busy and profitable, the Chevrolet agency had a Frazer’s Fotos take this image and turn it into an informative postcard that was sent out to all of the car owners on the mailing list. When a motorist brought their car in for the service, often a well-run service department would also inform the owner about other services and repairs a car might need and also sell those maintenance operations.
The car on the “grease rack” appears to be either a 1936 Chevrolet Standard Series Model FC six or a Master Deluxe Model FD which both were equipped with a beam axle and half elliptic springs. The upscale Master Deluxe Model FA came fitted with the Chevrolet “Knee-Action” independent suspension system invented and patented by Andre Dubonnet.
View the Don Lee Cadillac (1932), and a Ford dealer’s (1934) Alemite equipped lubritoriums in earlier articles. Tell us what you find of interest in the expandable photo below courtesy of the California Digital Library.