This image, dated 1951 contains a view of Central Lincoln Mercury and Midtown Motors, a Ford dealership, both located in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania on Grant Street between Sixth Avenue and Tunnel Street. In the right foreground next to Central Lincoln Mercury is a city or commercial parking lot.
The two sales agencies were located only two blocks east of the center of downtown in the “Steel City.” Having a limited footprint, without a sales lot the dealerships apparently shared extra space in the building behind Central Lincoln Mercury.
In the expandable images below are close to ninety vehicles and on the other side of Sixth in the middle of the block is a Ford tractor and trailer delivering new cars. Most of the buildings in this scene no longer exist and the dealerships, Tunnel Street, and the parking garages behind at are now the site of US Steel’s Tower and Steel Plaza.
Tell us what you find of interest in this photograph courtesy of the University of Pittsburgh Library.