Today’s image of a 1930 Model “A” Ford coupe equipped with a winter front was taken in Hartford, Connecticut in 1931 while it was being refilled with STOPNOX gasoline costing 17 cents per gallon. The station had at least five double fuel pump units, and six motor oil tanks and pumps are visible in the photo including one on the far-left for dispensing “Amalie,” a motor oil made from Pennsylvania crude that is still in the market today.
Spark knock, pinging, and detonation have long been the bane of motorists and all describe a noise caused by erratic combustion of the air and fuel mix in an engine. STOPNOX and other brands of gasoline containing tetraethyllead were first introduced in the 1920s after the fuel additive that increases the octane rating was first used in racing cars. It allows for higher compression ratios to be used and in most cases eliminates spark knock. A number of other gasoline blends sold during the period contained the word nox or ethyl in the fuels brand name.
Tell us what you find of interest in the photograph courtesy of the Connecticut History Illustrated Archive.