Today’s feature image takes us back in time to Hanford, California, for a view of a very sporty-looking Stoddard-Dayton stripped of its coachwork and converted into a speedster. In an era when speed equipment was only available for racers on a factory team, and aftermarket offerings were still a few years away, the quick and easy way to go fast was to lighten a car and at the same time make it more aerodynamic.
This circa 1910 to ’12 Stoddard originally built in Dayton, Ohio, is fitted with a set of bucket seats and a large gasoline tank behind it with both mounted on an angle, a toolbox is attached to the frame at the rear. The front and rear axles were fitted with leather rebound straps. The radiator appears to be mounted on a piece doubled over leather strapping which was also used to cushion and help hold it and the steering column down.
Behind the car is the Hanford Mfg. Co. and the middle line of the sign on the structure in the foreground may read “Pumps” on the end, but the bottom clearly reads “Motors Gas & Oil Engines.” Located in the Central Valley of California, the firm may have been involved in manufacturing and selling irrigation systems needed there for farming. This fast traveling Stoddard speedster may have been used for quick service calls.
Tell us what you find of interest in the expandable photograph below courtesy of the Michael J. Semas Collection.