Today’s photo looks back to March of 1935 in Knoxville, Tennessee. There the Cities Service “Power Prover” Team traveling around the country stopped to set up shop for a promotion in support of a local Cities Service filling station.
Visible in the photos is the Team’s 1932 or ’33 Reo Flying Cloud Coupe, towing a fifth wheel Cities Service Curtis Aero Car. Behind it is a small tag along trailer with a carbon monoxide gas (CO) tester and a four wheel brake tester.
First the brakes on a car were checked on the tester set up down the street and visible in the second enlargeable image below. Vehicles then moved forward to the small CO testing trailer that gave a reading of the exhaust gases.
A period newspaper ad for the Cities Service “Power Prover” states that the Team gave recommendations on how to reduce CO in the exhaust and at the same time improve gasoline mileage.
Tell us what you find of interest in the photos courtesy of the Knox County Public Library.