Luther’s Automotive service, located at 2012 West Slauson Avenue in South Los Angeles, California, is featured today in a set of promotional images taken in 1932. The outfit specialized in vehicles made by only two automakers, which inspired confidence in motorists passing by on the busy main thoroughfare, who owned automobiles produced by these manufacturers.
The $4.95 valve job advertised on a sign on the front of the building was for labor only and baring complications, adding a new head gasket and sundries to the work probably cost about $5.00 in total. With inflation added in, today’s price for this service would be about $93.00, which is a bargain as the labor for the same job today done correctly would be about $300 plus parts.
In addition to the clean and freshly painted building, the owner also placed a small building with signage, an open air lift, and a Pennzoil lubrication system seen in the second photo below right in front of auto drivers passing by on the busy main Avenue. Amazingly the building has survived intact including the skylights and today is Slauson Auto Restoration.
Tell us what you find of interest in these photographs courtesy of the USC Libraries.