During the mid-1930s in an effort to get more than its market share of sales during the Great Depression, Cities Service decorated the outside of many of its filling stations. The over the top promotion entailed covering its buildings to look like a block of ice to promote its “Koolmotor” high test anti-knock gasoline, and motor oil. To make sure motorists did not miss seeing the stations, a checkerboard patterned tower that looks like one used on a lighthouse was added on top.
It appears this filling station, operated in Knoxville, Tennessee, by Edward Jones concentrated on sales of fuel, oil, greasing and washing and not mechanical repairs. A pair of 1936 Fords are in the station yard and a 1934 Ford sedan (visible in detail below) fitted with an accessory metal trunk. The add-on appears like it may have been produced by the Potter Company that manufactured and sold Ford aftermarket products.