“The Raymond,” a resort hotel located on Bacon Hill in South Pasadena, California, opened for the first time in June of 1886. The opulent and palatial facility soon became the destination for wealthy and famous tourists visiting the area. After an ember from a chimney landed on the wooden-shingled roof, the structure caught fire and burned to the ground nine years later in 1895.
A new, more lavish, and larger structure with four-hundred guest rooms which replaced the original opened in 1901. Once again it became a landing-place for well-heeled visitors in the area until the Huntington Hotel, another luxury resort also located in Pasadena began receiving visitors in 1914. Later due to the Great Depression, competition, and resulting loss of patrons the resort was no longer a viable business and the bank holding the mortgage foreclosed on the property in 1931, following that the structure was demolished in 1934.
The lead image and the enlargeable sectional images of it below contain sixteen automobiles, which with the exception of a Dodge touring car and an early Model “A” Ford sedan are for the most part luxury sedans and limousines of visitors at “The Raymond.”
Let us know what you find of interest in the photograph courtesy of the Huntington Library.