An Entertaining & Informative Vintage Automobile Internet Magazine

Busy Post-War Atlanta Georgia Street Scene with Parking Lots

Today’s street scene image of an unidentified intersection in Atlanta, Georgia, is a press photo that documented traffic congestion in the City. Surrounding this intersection are a number of businesses that dealt with servicing vehicles, on the far-left is a Standard Oil filling station, a General Tire shop and an Auto Loan business.

On the right-hand side of the intersection behind the tree is the C&S Garage, and on two sides of it are comercial parking lots. Across the street is a large two-story masonry building with a “Mobilift” sign on the ground floor. Mobilift was a division Minneapolis-Moline tractor and farm machinery company that produced forklifts, could this have been the Atlanta sales and service center?

Share with us what you find of interest in this photograph courtesy of the Georgia State University Library.

16 responses to “Busy Post-War Atlanta Georgia Street Scene with Parking Lots

  1. In the 2nd photograph, lower right corner, is a two-tone, 1940 BUICK Super Touring Sedan. This car appears in all three pictures.

  2. No, looking at it again it may be a 1940 Hudson because it appears to be a beetle back sedan and I think the ’41s were all bustle back.

  3. In the 2nd photograph, in the intersection, just forward of the trolley car, is either a 1947 or ’48 MERCURY Town Sedan.

  4. This is the intersection of Spring Street NW and Walton Street NW in Atlanta circa 1947. The location is confirmed by the following businesses on Spring Street NW.

    100: General Tire (at Walton St. NW)
    108: State Auto Finance Co.
    110: Robert & Co. (Engineering Department drafting rooms)
    112: Atlanta Blue Print & Supply Co.
    134: Roy Livingston Filling Station

    The 1947 date is confirmed by the fact that the Mobilift business at 107 Walton St. NW had moved to 1113 Spring St. NW by sometime in 1948. Mobilift was involved in making lift trucks. The location is further confirmed by the following businesses.

    98: Roy Livingston Inc. Garage Ent.
    100-108 – Roy N. Livingston, Auto Parking

    In 1963 Roy Livingston sold his garages and parking lots for $2.5 million to the Meyers Brothers Parking Systems of New York. The businesses shown in the photos are gone because of continued downtown development in Atlanta and the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. This urban renewal has led to Spring St. NW and Walton St. NW no longer intersecting.

  5. The ‘42 or later GM four door by the tree looks like a military vehicle as it appears to have a dull paint job with no brightwork but white numbers or letters on the hood.

    • GMC or Chevrolet belonging to the Fourth Service Command, headquartered in Atlanta during WW 2 and charged with doing all the military admin when local unit were posted overseas.

      Many of these units were used by the Signal Corps in a variety of “K” designations. You could get them in 4×2 or 4×2 with a variety of capacities, and various organisations also outfitted them as Maintenance Trucks.

      This is an early one as it has the more rounded roof corners. late in the war they became squarer for ease of production.

  6. Looks like there might be a collision between the streetcar and the car in the top left corner – the car can’t exit the intersection due to the truck at a 45 degree angle right in front of it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *