Today’s expandable feature image shot on November 1, 1940, in Fort Worth, Texas, is one of several taken in the City at the time to document dysfunctional intersections.
At the corner where West 7th and Henderson Streets meet in Fort Worth is the Mastin-Parris Motor Company, a dealership and distributor of De Sota and Plymouth automobiles. In front of the free-standing Company sign complete with a clock is one of the new 1941 De Sotos equipped with “Fluid Drive” on display. The building has not survived and at corner today is a park like vacant lot.
This new semi-automatic drive system using a fluid coupling instead of a flywheel was first introduced with the 1940 Chrysler. Behind the coupling was a conventional manual three-speed transmission. A partial video produced for the Chrysler Corp. at the bottom of the post demonstrates how the system operates in a 1941 Plymouth.
Share with us what you find of interest in the photograph courtesy of the University of Texas at Arlington.