The Famous Barr Store chain was headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, the first store opened there during 1914 in the center of the City. This store, one of six branch stores in the greater St.Louis area began operating in October of 1948 in Clayton, Missouri, at Forsyth Boulevard and Jackson Avenue. Across the Boulevard from the store is the Pevely Dairy and fountain.
This image apparently was taken shortly after the Store opened in 1948. The large parking lot and the vehicles parked there have been broken up into two enlargeable photos below so the automobiles are visible in better detail.