Filling station grand opening days back in the period usually included support and signage for the new operator of an establishment from the oil company that owned, built and leased the facility. Today’s lead image from the Phillips Petroleum Archives contains a view of a grand opening day that took place in 1953 in Tampa, Florida, in one of the company’s new locations.
General Petroleum Co. headquartered in Los Angeles, produced a purple-hued “Violet Ray” gasoline that it sold and distributed in the western states during the 1920s and 1930s. The photo below taken in an unknown location contains a filling station selling General’s motor fuels from a pair of visible-style gasoline pumps. Note the motor oil tanks and pumps for different brands and grades of oil and a dog on top of one of them.