Today’s installment of the “Gasoline Station Series” takes us to the Corner of Bigelow Boulevard and Bloomfield Bridge on July 10, 1921, for a view of this substantial Gulf Oil Company filling station. Bloomfield is a neighborhood in the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, located three miles north of the downtown area. The building has not survived.
The gas station has a total of seven up-to-date fuel pumps powered by electric motors, and at least three gas pump attendants (one sitting on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle) are clearly visible in the image.
On the far-right is a salesroom for “Vacuum Cup” tires produced by the Pennsylvania Rubber Works located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. Note the extensive signage on the building lit by electric light bulbs and the McFarlan Service Station sign on the far-left offering “Generel Repairs (sic).”