“These Little Rigs Go To Market” is the title for the press release accompanying this April 17, 1946 photo taken in Detroit, Michigan. At the time this image was shot in the spring of 1946 the ice had broken up in the Great Lakes allowing the vehicle shipping companies to place their automobile freighters back in service on the water.
This batch of 1946 Plymouth cars are being driven on to the “Charles Donnelly” Double Decker steamer for delivery to Cleveland, Ohio, and Buffalo, New York area distributors and dealers. Once there and prepped for sale, the automobiles were quickly snapped up by eager buyers ready to purchase some of the first new automobiles offered on the open market since cars became unavailable to the public due to the outbreak of World War II in 1942.
The Nicholson Transit Company was established in February 1928 by William Nicholson and William F. Deane. At the time Captain Nicholson was a notable navigator on the Great Lakes, who with Deane’s assistance enabled him to form the new business into one of the most successful lines that plied the chain of rivers and lakes. Eighty years later, the Nicholson Terminal & Dock Company is still in operation.
Share with us what you find of interest in the expandable photograph (below) courtesy of the Free Library of Philadelphia.