This installment of the “Gas Station Series” contains an image dated by the source as being shot on May 21, 1951. Shown is the busy intersection at the junction of East McNichols Road and Joseph Campau Avenue located six miles north of the center of Detroit. The picture is filled with a wide variety of 1930s to early ’50s automobiles.
Note that the police officer on the corner in front of the station who is looking towards the “bathtub” Nash on the far-right center of the photo. The vehicle is getting a push through the intersection, or it has been driven into by the operator of a Pontiac behind it.
In stark contrast to 1951, the abandoned the Standard Oil filling station has survived with architectural changes to the exterior. Although, as is the case in many areas of suburban Detroit this intersection now contains two abandoned gasoline stations, a pharmacy and liquor store, and a near empty parking lot.
Share with us what you find of interest in the photograph or can add to the article. The picture is courtesy of the Wayne State University Libraries.
Over 275 other images are included our “Gas Station Series.”