Today’s photo of the Albany Public Market lot in front of the Lyon Block Building on the far-left was taken at some point of World War II years between 1942 to ’45 when fuel was rationed. The automobile closest to the camera appears to be a 1941 Ford convertible, and a close look at the vehicle windshields in the enlargeable image below shows the Wartime gasoline rationing stickers.
The picture was taken on Market Street contains a view looking up South Pearl Street on the right at storefronts and a small dinner which is the fifth building visible. A 1935 view of the open air market can be seen at the Albany Times Union. None of the structures in this commercial area have survived, and the Lyon Block Building has been replaced by the Times Union Center building containing a large indoor arena.
Share with us what you find of interest in this image, or can add to the article. The photograph is courtesy of the Albany Public Library.