The year was 1947 and today’s press photos were taken in Los Angeles of a “full view” plexiglass “bubble top” manufactured by the Fabriform Corporation of Bayesville, Ohio installed on a Ford convertible. Earlier, Fabriform manufactured clear plastic bubbles and blisters used in World War II on bombers to cover machine guns and gunners.
The eye-catching automobile top attaches to a car in the same manner as the original fabric top and is easily installed and removed for storage. The pictures of the accessory top were taken in an unknown Ford Dealer’s used car lot in Los Angeles that handled the one-quarter inch thick roof. The press release with the images reported that “a choice of tints is planned for the future.”
This plexiglass top is not the first to be used on an automobile, the clear plastic was introduced in the thirties and is shown on a 1939 Plymouth and other vehicles, and also used for a 1950s Plymouth chassis. Share with us what you find of interest in this image, along with any additional information found covering this top in more detail. The photograph is courtesy of the Free Library of Philadelphia.