The Mountain Inn was located on the Lincoln Highway, and PA Route 3o four miles east of Greensburg, which is situated in southwestern Pennsylvania. This facility was about thirty-five miles east of Pittsburgh which made it an ideal overnight stop for City residents on a weekend motoring trip to the mountains.
The automobile in the foreground of the enlargeable image (below) appears to be one of the large Willys-Knight models that were built in the 1915 to ’17 period and is fitted with accessory wire wheels. Behind it on the far-left is a Packard of the same era with the radiator being topped up by the owner or the chauffeur. The balance of the vehicles in this scene date from about 1913 up until the late teens.
Note the closed Dodge Brothers “Auto Repair Shop” in the background; the device attached at the top of the white painted section of the telephone pole behind the Overland, and the large number of individual telephone wires supported by the poles. The woman in the white dress and dark coat leaning against the Willys-Knight rear fender appears to be holding two ice cream cones.
Share with us what you find of interest in the enlargeable photographs (below) by photographer John Gates courtesy of the University of Pittsburgh Library.