The left-hand side of today’s feature image dated November 10, 1937, contains a view of Horvitz Motor Sales which was located at 5555 Penn Ave. in the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA. The right-hand side of the photo contains a Gulf Oil Company filling station on property owned by W. L. Mellon and to its right is the intersection of Penn Ave. and North Negley Ave. The lettering on the side of the Highland Market Chevrolet panel truck at the intersection identifies it as being located at St Clair and Jackson St.
Horvitz Motor Sales apparently handled a few late model cars but the bulk of the inventory which extends behind the Gulf Station contains cars and trucks some of which date back to the late-1920s. The used car and truck lot has not survived, although a National Tire and Battery service center is located on the site today. The parcel where the Gulf filling station was sited is now a vacant lot. See a street view of this area today.
Share with us what you find of interest in the enlargeable sectional photographs (below) by the Pittsburgh City Photographer courtesy of the University of Pittsburgh Library.