This series of images was taken in November of 1955 at Mitchell Motors located on West Peach Tree St. (auto row) in Atlanta, Georgia, during the introduction of the new 1956 Oldsmobile models. Further on down the sidewalk a sign for “Hudgin’s Motors Cars and Trucks” is visible and across the street a partial “Packard” sign can be seen.
It was fashionable at the time to use a spotlight at special events and grand openings to attract attention and the Dealership had one positioned out in front of the showroom; for fun motorists would drive from miles around to track down the source and every one of them was a potential car buyer. Anderson’s Septic Tank Service apparently was moonlighting (no pun intended) at the time setting up a spotlight on location and used the Company IHC pickup truck to tow the lighting rig to Mitchell Motors.
Share with us what you find of interest both in the showroom and out in front of Mitchell Motors in this set of photographs courtesy of the Georgia State University Library.