We have featured hundreds of photos containing American new car dealerships over the years so for a change of pace today the impressive Stanley Porter Mercedes-Benz operation located in Cape Town, South Africa on Buitengracht St. photographed in 1961 is our focus.
Exactly how long Porter sold and serviced the Mercedes-Benz in Cape Town is not know, although a reference was found to his son Alan Porter operating the dealership after his father. Auto Union came under Daimler-Benz ownership in 1957 and at some point after that time, Porter also took on the DKW franchise.
It appears that the showroom was on the ground floor and the second and third stories contained the service department. The fourth floor was mixed-use with a rooftop parking garage and the three floors above it apparently contained the Company offices. The impressive seven-story building was capped with a rotating Mercedes “Silver Star.” A second photo of the dealership in 1963 is visible here.
Share with us what you find of interest in the photograph courtesy of UWMilwaukee.