According to the source of today’s lead photo, it was taken in January of 1936 when truckloads of new 1936 Ford cars were being unloaded at George Holzbaugh’s Dealership. The operation was open 24-hours a day and located at West Grand Boulevard and West Fort St. in Detroit, MI, and included a billiards parlor.
Holzbaugh was an experienced Ford salesman who earlier worked at Peter J. Platte Motor Sales also located in Detroit. James O’ Connell reported in the 2017 Spring “Lincoln Link” that in “March 1924, Peter J. Platte Motor Sales was recognized by Ford Motor Company for employing the “Champion Ford Salesman” (Holzbaugh) in the United States. There he had a total monthly sales of 202 cars and trucks and beat the nearest salesman by 28 units.”
In 1934 Peter J. Platte moved to selling DeSotos and Plymouths and apparently Holzbaugh then opened this dealership. He and his salesmen’s ability to sell large numbers of cars and trucks probably accounts for the three-car transporters unloading new Fords at the Dealership. The second photo below also dated to January 1936 shows some kind of a sales event held at Holzbaughs.
Share with us what you find of interest in these photos courtesy of The Henry Ford.