Planters Peanuts were first processed and sold in 1906 at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania by a partnership of Amedeo Obici an immigrant from Italy and Mario Peruzzi. The later had developed a process to remove the peanut shells followed by roasting and blanching the nuts to lighten the color. The headquarters of the business, an office building (which has survived) and a warehouse were constructed at 632 South Main St. in Wilkes-Barre that is visible in today’s featured photos.
- Planters Peanut product mobile on a late-1920s Dodge Brothers chassis.
The lead image and the enlargeable version of it (below) contain an “New Design” GMC panel truck and a parade float which was used in a co-promotion by Planters and Anthracite Coal interests in the area. The image (above) contains a mid-to-late 1920s Planters Peanut product mobile constructed on a four-cylinder Dodge Brothers auto or pickup truck chassis.