Today’s featured images taken at Paschal High School located in Fort Worth, Texas on February 2, 1940, contain a group of spindizzie enthusiasts and their cars in a parking lot ready to have some fun and racing action. The caption with the photo identifies the car owners: “left to right is Bob Abey, A. B. Wharton Junior, Spurgeon Morrow, Jack Russell, and Bob McMahon. “Mrs. A. B. Wharton Junior” poses with the couple’s “Silver Streak” racing car in the last photo (below.)
We have covered spindizzy and tether cars earlier and wrote the following about them: “Like many automotive fads and trends, the miniature car racing movement began in Southern California in the late-1930s by individuals who constructed cars using small gasoline-powered two-stroke model airplane engines. After the pursuit soon became popular, both kits and factory-built miniature cars were placed on the market.”
“Three different ways of racing the little cars became popular, and running them on a specially constructed banked track proves to be the most interesting. These so-called “rail” cars are controlled by a narrow protruding guide on the surface of the track, just inside of the left-hand wheels which keeps each car in its lane.”
“Two other types of car control are also used; in one version the operator stands in the center of a track and guides the car with a cable it is tethered to. The third type of control involves the cars being tethered to a center pivot and rotating around it.”
View our earlier post “Spindizzies and Tether Cars – Early Miniature Model Racers” to view more pictures and two videos covering the little cars.
Share with us what you find of interest in these Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection photographs courtesy of the University of Texas Arlington.