The Guenther-Methudy Sales Company of St Louis, MO, went all out when it set up this combination tire shop and filling station located at 3553 Lindell Blvd. in the City circa 1917. It appears that the Company may have purchased a three-story house and built an elaborate two-story storefront on it and converted the building into a tire shop.
Guenther-Methudy then had a monumental one-hundred and three-foot-long sign constructed and erected with huge illuminated six-foot-tall letters that also advertised the “5000 Mile Guarantee” that came with the purchase of Ajax tires. The tires were manufactured in a Trenton, New Jersey plant by the Ajax Rubber Company Inc., which was headquartered in New York City.
The two automobiles in the photo are Model “T” Fords, the newest one, a coupe on the far left dates to 1917 or later and the other Ford out front of the shop to 1913 or ’14.
Please share with us what you find of interest in the photo courtesy of the Missouri History Museum.