The Fred and August Duesenberg, based on their earlier racing success and the desire to design and manufacture a fine road car, set out to do just that in 1920. They were working out of their shop in Elisabeth, NJ, at the time and laid out plans for the modern chassis, with what is reconizied as the first four-wheel brakes on an American manufactured car and a straight-eight engine. For this first engine, they opened a page from the past and used the walking-beam design that they first used in their four cylinder racing cars. The two images here, show both sides of the chassis with this prototype Model A engine installed. The third photos shows the intake side and the cover over the walking beams. Fred Roe collection photos, courtesy of Racemaker Press.