The Ford Good Drivers League was established in 1940 “for the purpose of promoting better driving habits among boys of high school age” so stated a pamphlet printed at the time. It was later expanded to include young women in 1941. The president of the league was Edsel Ford, who can be seen in a film which has survived, presenting awards.
In 1940 the national finals were held at the New York Worlds Fair. In this photo dated Aug. 23, 1941, we see Ledia Lymans a state finialist from Delaware, at the corner of Canfield West and Second Ave. in Detroit, where the contest was held in 1941. The Old Motor photo.