Road racing in the 1960s was a bit different than today as shown by photos of the action at the Oakland County Road Racing Club on Aug. 7, 1960. An unknown special is seen being flagged (above) followed by a Thunderbird. Another interesting racing car can be seen during tech inspection in the first photo below. The second photo shows two fiberglass bodied racers, the first a Peerless is followed by a Lotus with a Triumph bringing up the rear. The last photo shows shows an AC taking part in some early or late season racing.
The club and the race track is still in operation and was founded two years before these photos were taken in 1958 in Clarkston, Michigan, which is located in the southeast area of the state. Today the track is called Waterford Hills and they will be having vintage races on July 27-29, 2012, in partnership with The Concours d’Elegance of America. Can any of our readers identify the special seen in the top photo or the racing car in the first photo below?