This is one of a series of photos connected to A. W. Blanchard who first stated out in the automobile business at 107 Liberty St. in Brooklyn, NY. His business must have prospered with the three brands he handled; Fiat, Oldsmobile and Herreshoff. Blanchard then built this new garage at 342 Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn. The photo above shows a circa 1911 Pierce-Arrow in the doorway, which is right about the time it appears he to have built this facility.
Here he sold the Fiat and others and also stored and repaired cars for customers as was the custom at the time. The well equipped office can be seen (left photo below) with a typewriter, safe, cash register and a telephone at the far right, that appears to possibly be on top of an intercom system. The (center) photo shows a car evidently being given a full overhaul in the repair department. The (right) photo shows the blacksmith department with a forge and also a large torch that may have been fueled by city gas. The left side of this photo shows the machine shop, with its machinery driven by belting from over-head-shafting.
Well equipped repair garages back in that time, were set up to be able to repair or make parts. Components were commonly rebuilt or repaired, instead of replacing them as is normal today. Many of the cars early garages were called upon to repair were orphan cars that parts were unavailable for, so they many times had to make their own. Photos courtesy of Steve Blanchard