In 1912, the fledgling Flanders company branched out from building gasoline powered cars, trucks and motorcycles exclusively with the introduction of an all electric model, the “Colonial”, seen here. Founded in 1911 and capitalized primarily by former backers of E-M-F including Clement Studebaker, Flanders was only in business until 1914. The “Colonial” was produced for only three of those years, from 1912 to 1914. Orders for 3000 examples at the then substantial price of $1775 were taken, but fewer than 100 were delivered before the company entered receivership.
Before it all went south for the Flanders Company, however, they managed to get one of their cars appointed as the trail blazer for the 1912 American Automobile Association Club tour from Detroit to New Orleans. Although the short article from the July 25, 1912 edition of “The Automobile” seen in the right hand thumbnail just above refers to “special arrangements being made for recharging along the entire route”, just exactly what those arrangements were and if they ever reached their destination more than 1,000 miles away remains shrouded in the mists of time.
We at the The Old Motor invite readers who might know the ultimate outcome of this ambitious endeavor to let us know if they succeeded. Further information about this lengthy tour is also most welcome. Top photo courtesy of Walt Gosden.