Summer has really lived up to it’s billing in the last couple of days here at The Old Motor. We’ve had some ideal beach weather, and although we haven’t been able to get away, these young ladies and their faithful canine companion managed to do so a few seasons ago. It appears that the car may be a 1925 Marmon Model 74. Marmons of this era were well engineered and while the article below from the September 16, 1926 issue of Automotive Industries magazine describes a 1927 model 75, the big touring car in our feature photo shared many of the advanced features mentioned there.
An innovator in the use of aluminum in their engines and bodies, Marmon also used a thin, deep “L” channel steel for their frames to save additional weight rather than the customary “U” channel of the day. Running boards were used as stressed members to reinforce the side rails. You can read more about the mechanical advances of these cars in the accompanying article (above). Our feature photo appears to be either a Marmon factory or a California dealer’s promotional image. A short biography of company founder Howard C. Marmon from Hemmings Classic car can be found here.